The Violin and The Sandman

On a dust ridden red bench he sat
with a violin in his trembling hands
he began to sing.
Looking up over the clock towers
and through rose colored shades
he began to strum.
Two birds danced
and shook their feathers
as he began to stand.
The violin turned into sand.
And so his time was stopped.
He looked at the sand
and dove in.

-Me

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Band Review: Black Velvet



BLACK VELVET
The Derailed Saloon
Durango, CO
Artists: Nina Sasaki
            Larry Karver
            Ben Gibson
            Anton Franczyk


I am living out of my car, laughing, and listening to bands when I can.  Here is Black Velvet. 


Songs

"According to You" by Orianthi
"Love Me Like a Man" by Bonnie Ratt
"The Road's My Middle Name" by Bonnie Ratt
"Smoothe" by Santana
"Spooky" by Santana
"Tumbling Dice" by The Rolling Stones
"Smooth Operator" by Sade
"Ventura Highway" by America
"Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty
"Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall
"Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac
"Angel From Montgomery" by John Prine
"Don't Let It Bring You Down" by Neil Young
"White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane
"A Horse With No Name" by America
"Honky Tonk Woman" by The Rolling Stones
"Can't Always Get What You Want" Rolling Stones
"Can't You See" by The Marshall Tucker Band
"Time" by Pink Floyd
"Take A Look At Yourself" by David Coverdale



In the background there are elevated sounds of children laughing and playing ping pong, however near the windows in the Derailed Saloon in Durango, Colorado, sit two very talented musicians, Nina Sasaki (Lead Vocals and guitar) and Larry Karver (guitar).  Together Sasaki and Karver bring to the stage some Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Sade, Neil Young, Jefferson Airplane, Tom Petty, and many other classic performers.

Nina Sasaki starts her set with a song “According to You."  The lyrics are introspective and romantic.  Sasaki's incredible voice is solo at first until Larry Karver joins her.  When Karver joins Sasaki the real sound takes a hold like a fast traveling bullet.  Their next song, “Love Me like a Man” (Performed by Bonnie Ratt) is sung with devotion, like she truly wants to be loved- but only like a man.  Sasaki plays the guitar without looking down at the strings (she was probably born a guitar in her hands).  Karver plays like it comes completely natural to him.

"The men that I've been seeing, baby, got their soul up on a shelf.  You know they could never love me, when they can't even love themselves.  But I need someone to love me, someone to really understand, who won't put himself above me, who'll just love me like a man."  

"Love Me like a Man" -Bonnie Ratt

In the saloon the sound holds and doesn’t escape.  The place makes you feel like you are lost in the music but found through the message.  There are people sitting at the bar staring, their attention robbed by the music.  There is a pause in the music, a break, Sasaki says with a gentle voice “Lets Turn the Lights Out “ and continues with “I used to be really un-cool, Larry is helping me.”  Saski’s laugh is almost part of her song, kind of like her signature attribute.

With my feet by two guitar cases and a great sound system (thanks to Anton Franczyk) and a laser light show I love life.

                                         
                                      OW OW. . .another Bonnie Ratt song.

The next song is perfect, “The Road's My Middle Name “ (Bonnie Ratt) It fits and I feel at home now! The energy is powerful.


"Guess the road is in my blood 'cause I'm my daddy's kid, just have to learn how to let me go, just like my mamma did--ooooh, I gotta go, darlin' cause the road's my middle name."

Sasaki has a watch on but you have to wonder if she thinks about time at all during her set.  Does she think about time? Does it linger? Not for long, because by the time you know it she is stealing looks from men, stealing the voices from all the women, and buying everyone a drink with her voice.  Not to mention she has a sense of humor-“Nice smoke machine Anton.”

I’ve lost the concept of time and I think they have too.  As they are playing I start to wonder where I am going to sleep but luckily I run into Autumn, Katherine and Nina after the show and we venture to a full moon party.

On this traveling escapade it feels like everyone is feeling the same thing, like no one has a home.  There is no time and no one has to be or do anything.  I quickly realize I live a different lifestyle outside of what is known as clockwork. 


All I can say about Ben Gibson is he shreds the guitar! This man is very talented and as soon as I saw him walk through the doors I knew he would rock the place.  He just lets the music speak for for him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment